Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Always Trying To Keep Calm And Keto On....Oh Is That Cookies?

So I became a Reddit junkie about a year and a half ago and one day while hitting the random button to see just what subreddits I would come across I stumbled onto Keto. A diet that cuts out almost all the carbs? Isn't that just Atkins? Well yes and no. While Atkins does want you to stick to 20g of carbs (or less) a day like Keto, Keto likes you to stick to macros (5% carbs, 65% fats, 30% protein) and consume more fat than protein. (A Keto FAQ).

I know that the idea of consuming more fat than anything is sounding alarm bells off in your brain right now, but there is plenty of research to support that the increased consumption is not harmful and can actually be beneficial. (When I refer to fat I am referring to healthy fats; IE: olive oil, coconut oil, avocados, etc.)

I read as much as I could through the info bar on the Keto subreddit before I brought it to my boyfriend who was easy enough to convince (something about copious amounts of bacon consumption did it for him). We set about deciding when to start and took a trip over to the grocery store. It was also easy enough to find good recipes and snack ideas to nix any and all cravings.

After a week into starting Keto I decided to weight myself and I was down about 7 pounds! 7 whole freaking pounds!?! It was really just the water weight leaving my body more than anything, but it was nice to see that big of a jump in such a small amount of time. A couple of more weeks and a few more pounds down later and my clothes were fitting better. It was amazing to pull things out of the closet to wear again that had gotten just a bit too tight. Now they were just right or even a little big!

As we got closer to Christmas we were already a month and half in and I was about 20 pounds down while the boyfriend was hovering somewhere between 10-15 pounds down (he didn't have as much to try and lose as I did). I was feeling better, looking better (I couldn't tell as much as other people), and the added energy was nice. Then the culmination of my boyfriend's birthday, Christmas, and New Year's all at the same time was not easy and my willpower broke. I didn't go back to my super crazy eating habits before, but what I was eating definitely wasn't helping.

So for the last 3 to 3 and a half months I had fallen off the wagon, but I was determined (as was my boyfriend) to get back on and now we are back on that wagon and about 2 weeks in. Like any lifestyle change it's never easy, but now I know that I can fall off that wagon and just as easily get back on and if I do  fall off I definitely won't go another 3 months again! Luckily I didn't gain much weight back in those 3 months (mostly a few pounds of water weight) and now after a couple of weeks back on Keto I am already a few pounds lighter than when I quit.

I know I will always struggle with my weight, it's something I've just come to accept, but Keto was the first time that it felt like I was moving in a real direction towards being healthier and feeling better. It took me awhile to decide if I wanted to share on here anything weight related, but I knew that Keto was too awesome not to share.

Now that I've introduced you guys to Keto I'll be posting a new recipe (as well as my progress) I've tried out personally every week! This week I'll be introducing you to a Keto friendly chili that I made very recently  so be on the lookout for that this Thursday! If you have any questions about Keto please feel free to leave a comment, but I highly suggest checking out the Keto subreddit along with the FAQ to see if your question may be answered. For any ladies thinking about trying this out XXKeto is another great subreddit specifically for women on Keto. There is a great supportive community there willing to help out with questions, give advice, or just dole out some encouragement!


Follow me on Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest! (Links to the right)

No comments:

Post a Comment